Blueberry Lemon Poppy Loaf Cake
I love everything lemon as well as blueberries so I thought to combine the two and make something delicious and fresh. This is such a summer dessert. The lemon glaze on top gives it that little extra sweet tartness that goes so well with this cake. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Also it’s Vegan.
2½ cup Cake flour
1 cup Sugar
3 tsp Baking powder
3 Tbsp Poppy seeds
½ cup Canola oil
1 cup Unsweetened almond milk (or any milk you prefer)
½ cup Lemon juice (± 4 lemons)
4 tsp Lemon zest
1 Tbsp Vanilla essence
1 cup Blueberries*
Pinch of salt
Lemon glaze ingredients:
1½ cup Icing sugar
1 tsp Almond milk
Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a loaf pan.
- In a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add in the poppy seeds and lemon zest. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix together the canola oil, almond milk, lemon juice and vanilla essence.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry and mix well until just combined. I used a wooden spoon to mix.
- Add in your blueberries and mix.
- Transfer mixture to the loaf pan about ¾ full.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool for about 10 minutes in the pan. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- In a bowl mix together the icing sugar, lemon juice and almond milk.
- Once the cake is cooled completely, drizzle the lemon glaze all over the cake.
- Decorate the cake however you want.
- In this recipe I used frozen blueberries. You can use fresh blueberries as well. If you are using frozen berries I will suggest not mixing it to much into the batter otherwise it will turn it purple.
- I used a loaf pan for this recipe but you can use a square pan if you want. I had some of the mixture left that didn’t fit in my loaf pan so I made muffins with it.
- You can store the cake in an airtight container or on a cake stand if you are going to impress your guests. I keep my cake in the fridge because I like it cold.