Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
These cookies are crisp, buttery and full of lemon flavour. It’s perfect with a cup of tea or coffee or just to cuddle on the couch and snack on them. I know I’m obsessed with lemon but how can you not be? These cookies are delicious and will be gone in a blink of an eye. Test it for yourself, you won’t regret it!
1½ cup Cake flour
¾ cup Sugar
1 tsp Baking powder
½ tsp Salt
1½ Tbsp Poppy seeds
¾ cup Vegan butter or margarine
1 tsp Vanilla essence
Juice of 1 medium lemon
Zest of 1 medium lemon
*Extra ½ cup of sugar
Icing Drizzle ingredients:
¾ cup Icing sugar
3 tsp Water
A drop of vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a bowl sift together the cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add in the poppy seeds, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix well.
- Scatter butter in tiny amounts into dry mix.
- Using a fork or pastry cutter combine the butter with the dry mixture until it clumps together.
- Dump the mixture onto the counter and press it together. Knead the dough a few times.
- Take about 2 tbsp of the dough and roll into small balls.
- Prepare a plate with about ½ a cup of sugar.
- Roll the dough balls in the sugar to coat and place on the baking tray. Using your fork press slightly down on each ball.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until sides turn golden brown. Let the cookies cool on the tray for 10 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl mix together the icing sugar, water and vanilla.
- Place icing in a small piping bag or you can use a spoon and drizzle the icing over the cookies.
- You can serve the cookies straight away or store them in an airtight container.
Makes about 20 cookies. Enjoy!